Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lavender Lemon Squares

These are Lavender Lemon Squares. This cake flavour reminds me of our grandma (Lance's Grandma). I was trying to make cupcakes but, this time, was defeated by the lack of gluten. I tried to make it moist and moist it was. It was too moist for my purpose of a cupcake. It didn't rise properly at all. It actually did quite the opposite; it sank in the middle. I wonder if it has anything to do with the acidity of the lemon. I felt very frustrated and a bit sad that these didn't turn out as cupcakes so I decided to try and make little square cakes.

A hint of soft lavender and the bold taste of lemon are a great compliment to each other. This is yellow cake mixed with lavender buds, lemon zest, and lemon juice that was ground into the sugar.  These squares are topped with icing sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and a sprinkle of lavender buds. The toppings are fresh lavender and fresh lemon pieces. 

They are sweet and a tiny bit chewy but taste pretty good. They didn't turn out how I would have liked them to but in the end they are moist, sweet, and have a refreshing taste. Plus I like the way they make my hands smell after mixing in all of the yummy flavours. I will defiantly try to remake this cake again sometime in the future.

Baby Cake testers say: The taste was pretty good. They liked the flavour, especially the lemon, but it was a little chewy.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe next time try only using the lemon zest and not the lemon juice in the cake mix. I like the idea of fresh toppings :)

    ReplyDelete