Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Homemade Chicken soup (gluten free)

Chicken Noodle soup for your soul
Who it's made for:
Normally I'd make something sweet that pleases the palate but today my post is about making something that soothes the delicate body and soul. This is made for our grandpa Dal-Gallo whose body and soul is very delicate at this moment.

How it's made:
*1 (approx three pound) whole chicken (left over)
* Two large carrots halved and cut in chunks
* Four stalks of celery sliced about an inch or so thick (chunkier)
*One onion sliced into chunks
* approx.1 Cup (or a little less) of rice elbow noodles (I like the purple package)
*Salt and pepper to taste

1. I put my left over whole chicken in a dutch oven and add just enough water to cover.
I add a bit of salt and all the veggies.
I place a lid over and bring to a boil.
I then turn it to a simmer for a few hours (about 3).  

2. I taste the broth to see if it has the strong enough flavour I'm looking for. 
If not you can continue to cook or just add two tablespoons of Better Then Broth: Chicken Broth.
In a separate pot I start boiling the noodles. 
I then carefully take the chicken out of the pot with a large slotted spoon and onto a Pyrex (careful its very hot).
I take all of the chicken off of the bone making sure it's somewhat shredded and none of the bone gets into the soup.
I drain and rinse the noodles (otherwise rice noodles have too much starch) then add to soup.
Mix all together.
Give it the ole taste test (enough salt, right flavours) and if all is well  I serve.

Information about chicken noodle soup:
They say chicken noodle soup is not only good for comforting the soul but a great soup for colds and flu's. First, it acts as an anti-inflammatory by inhibiting the movement of neutrophils — immune system cells that participate in the body's inflammatory response. Second, it temporarily speeds up the movement of mucus through the nose, helping relieve congestion and limiting the amount of time viruses are in contact with the nose lining.


As Ella would say:






No comments:

Post a Comment